Saturday, July 5, 2014

Independence Day


Happy Late July Fourth! I meant to posts yesterday, but sometimes when you're just enjoying your day - it's hard to stop and posts when you'd rather cuddle with a little monkey aka my toddler, instead. There's really not that much to blog about. We started to the morning off as usual - in fact we never actually said, "Happy Fourth of July!!". I understand the holiday, it's wonderful. But the way "American's" celebrate it just annoys me. People only show up to your cook outs for food. People would drive to a crowded park three hours early to get a good parking space, with cranky children, JUST to see a 15 min firework show.. and then sit in more traffic with hungry, sleepy, itchy kids. Or my favorite, people who get wasted on a day they have no idea about - they associate it with "Hey, this is the day I can get belligerent drunk, shoot my gun in the air randomly, oh and drive!"

So.. I am NOT a fan of July 4th, in this day and time. As a kid, it was never anything big either - last year we took Adrian to see fireworks and it proved to me why I hated doing the "cliche" celebration so much. We treated yesterday like any other day, which was perfect.



My husband and I were longing for a "date", and some good QT since he had yesterday off.  So we dropped our son off with his granny, and he took me to the movies :) It was awkward for me, to actually be able to hold a conversation without saying, "Oh babe, did we bring snacks?" or "Yeah, so I told the girl - Babe! His ice cream is dripping!! - but yeah, like I was saying.. wait what was I saying?"

It felt good to look at him, and only him - listening to every word he had to say without interrupting him because I'm trying to strap a shoe. Going out with our kid is GREAT, it's normal, for us - don't get me wrong. But it's true.. as a married couple you definitely can not forget about each other. We're so engrossed in parenthood/adulthood we forget about our needs in the relationship. Which I respect, because I know we're both being the best parents we can be - which in this day and age is hard to find. I'm just happy to be on the same page with him 99.8% of the time. He just gets it, and I appreciate him so much for that. When I'm frazzled and OCD about things, he just understands me. 

When we cooked together that night he picks up a brand new package of butter and says, 
"Babe, is this the only pack of butter left?" 
I respond, "Yeah, it's a new package! How much do you need?"
And then he says, "I know how you feel about opening new packages if there's already a pack open of something. I didn't want you to get all OCD on me."
We laughed because it was so true. I had just used the last bit of the other pack of butter, which I'm guessing he saw - so he just asked to make sure.. because YES I am super OCD about the smallest things. But the fact that he understands that... *hugs self* makes me HAPPY. 


Toddler portion, for MY toddler. I'm sure your child's plate could look slightly different.. but it's all about strategies with this one. Babies aren't going to starve themselves, if they're hungry - they will eat. It's taking me day by day to grasp this concept. I would love to give him solely what he likes, but truth is - you never know if he'll like it until the time comes. One minute he LOVES chicken, next day he's turning his head from it. So I give him everything we're eating, I don't leave it out just because he didn't eat it "one" day, because he surprises us everyday with his picky habits. When he was younger he used to eat everything, so I am definitely associating this with... "terrible two's". I'd rather say terrific though.. anyways, he's becoming independent and is loving the fact that his opinion on things actually makes a difference. Can't blame the kid, he's human just like me and force feeding just makes things worse. 


Happy Fourth of July, readers xo








No comments:

Post a Comment